Activities of Herceg Novi library are based on IFLA/UNESCO Public Library Manifesto, according to which “..Public library has to be an essential of any long-term strategy in the domain of culture..., as the local gateway to knowledge, it provides a basic condition for lifelong learning, indepedent decision-making and cultural development of individuals and social groups..., it provides access to knowledge, information, lifelong learning and works of the imagination through a range of resources and services and is equally available to all members of the community regardless of race, nationality, age, gender, religion, language, disability, economic and employment status and educational attainment.“.
In order to meet the standards of the modern library system, the library follows modus vivendi of its activities – meeting demands and needs of customers and keep up with the rapid advancement of library activities and new technologies.
Today, Herceg Novi Library is:
· A place where library materials are systematically and continuously collected, processed according to international standards of bibliographic processing (ISBDM, ISBDS, ISBDA, ISBDCR, UDK in electronic form), preserved and presented to the public,
· A guardian of the past, thanks to the exemplary Regional Library Collection of the Bay of Kotor, as the most significant bibliographic research project, which includes: collecting, professional bibliographic processing, preservation (conservation and digitization), and promotion of library materials with regional motives.
· Where conditions for continuous bibliographic processing, protection and promotion of particularly significant library units - legacies are received, evaluated and provided.
· Where, through professionally designed programmes, children are, from an early age, offered a possibility to „through play grow fond of the book, before it becomes an obligation”, where the culture of reading, aesthetics and value criteria are developed.
· A place appealing and attractive for the population between childhood and adulthood, the population „alienated from the library“,
· A place to promote literacy and lifelong learning,
· A place to promote books and reading,
· A place of a free access to knowledge, information and civilization heritage for all citizens,
· An Institution that starts customer services in order to provide access to books, knowledge and information to specific categories of users as well: children with special needs, people with disabilities, the elderly and the immobile,
· An information centre providing access to local, regional and global information resources,
· The cultural centre as a meeting point for the local community inhabitants,
· An important factor of the town’s cultural tourism,
· An important and indispensable participant in social and economic development of the local community which significantly improves the quality of living in the local community.